Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Clearing out the Garden

It's that time of year again. Time to start cleaning out the garden.
The onions and beets have been pulled for a while. Half of the potatos are dug- thanks to Albert, (I hate that job). Saturday I did a major clearing of the greens. I only planted Collards and Swiss Chard this year- and the cabbage moths loved the collards so I have had beautiful Swiss Chard since spring. Well worth the sacrifice. The okra is still producing, some plants are taller than me but we are expecting temps to start falling into the 50's at night and just up into the 70's during the day so their days are numbered. Tomatos are done. Green beans are still producing. Cucumbers are starting to play out. I have pinto beans and black eyed peas drying on the vines. I will pull the carrots towards the end of September. Broccoli and brussels sprouts are looking good too. There are also herbs to cut and dry. The freezer is full and so is the pantry, so I am also done!  I put up the canner today.
I did try two new things this year: Dill Pickle Relish- didn't really care for it, and Green Tomato Relish- This one we might like. We'll give it a couple of weeks and give it a try.
I am already working on next years layout. Maybe by spring I will have it finished. The greenhouse we added this year will be put to good use.
Mostly I think everyone is really looking forward to fall. Still plenty to do, but nicer to work when it is cool weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment